Have you or a loved one been hit by a DUI driver in Atlanta? If you need further assistance, call us now at 1-800-738-WE-WIN. Our DUI accident attorneys are ready to help you through the process. We have attorneys in Atlanta, Savannah, and Statesboro. We have assisted hundreds of clients hit by DUI drivers for over 40 years.
DUI drivers are the most dangerous driver there is. Many of them drive on the wrong side of the road or can often be seen repeatedly crossing lane lines. They also account for 40% of car accident fatalities.
Whether your accident was serious or minor, our attorneys have experience that will prove beneficial to your accident claim. Here are a few injuries we have assisted our clients with:
- Fractured neck
- Broken knee cap
- Broken leg
- Brain Injury
- Internal bleeding
- Sprained ankle
- Fractured nose
- Serious whiplash
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Bulging disc
- Psychological Injuries
At the Merritt & Merritt Law Firm we promptly begin working on your case after your initial consultation. We typically go to the accident scene to get a better understanding of the information contained in the police report. Then it is always prudent to get pictures of the vehicles damaged in the accident. DUI accident cases normally settle but when they do not pictures of the accident can be shown to jurors. And it is true that a picture is worth a thousand words. Jurors award many thousands of dollars more to accident victims when they have pictures of the vehicles involved in the car accident.
When choosing a DUI accident attorney, be sure to get an attorney that has experience with these type cases. A lot of attorneys call themselves injury and accident attorneys but they do not specialize in it. Our attorneys at the Merritt & Merritt Law Firm have over 40 years of experience with working with accident victims and their cases. Not only do we have the experience to get you compensated fairly for your injuries but we also understand how general and special damages play apart in your case.
What make a DUI Car Accident different than a regular accident?
A car accident involving a drunk driver can net a 200% to 300% higher settlement. The reason is when someone is hit by a DUI driver they are entitled to personal injury and property damages and additionally punitive damages.
Punitive damages, also known as exemplary damages, may be awarded by the trier of fact (a jury or judge, if a jury trial was waived). In addition to actual damages, which compensates a plaintiff for losses suffered due to the harm caused by the defendant, punitive damages are a way of punishing the defendant in a civil lawsuit and are based on the theory that the interest of society and the individual harmed can be met by imposing additional damages on the defendant.
If you are or loved one has been involved in an accident with a DUI driver? Call the Merritt & Merritt Law Firm today at 1-800-738-WE-WIN or fill out the free case evaluation form on right side of page.
DUI Accident Statistics
- Every day people drive drunk almost 300,000 times but fewer than 4,000 are arrested.
- Almost 50% of drivers who were killed in crashes and tested positive for drugs also had alcohol in their system.
- The highest rate of drunk drivers are among 21 to 25 years olds (23.4 percent).
- Drunk drivers are 4.5 times more likely to be driving at night than during the day.
- In the U.S., the number of drunk driving deaths has been cut by 50% since MADD (Mother’s Against Drunk Driving) was founded in 1980.
- Drunk driving costs the United States an estimated $199 billion each year.
- Sadly, 2 in 3 people will be involved in a drunk driving crash in their lifetime.
- Over 1.2 million drivers are arrested each year for driving under the influence of alcohol or narcotics.
- Every day, 28 people die as a result of drunk driving crashes on average.
- On average, a convicted drunk driver has driven drunk 80 times before his or her first arrest.
- At any BAC level, the risk of being involved in a crash is greater for young people than for older people.
MADD-Mother’s Against Drunk Driving
Established in 1980
For more information visit http://www.madd.org/
We handle DUI accident cases across Georgia. If you can’t come to us, we will come to you. If you have further questions or need to discuss a potential claim, contact us at 1-800-738-WE-WIN or via our free case review form.